Thursday, April 2, 2009

Retrospective

When I identify to people that I spent last semester abroad as well, the inevitable comes up:


Do you wish you stayed in China?


The answer in a nutshell: yes.


There isn’t a day that goes bye that I don’t miss China. The people, the food, the classes, the cheap DVDs. The ability to knock someone’s socks off when I bust out my Chinese…really, I miss it so.


But the answer is more complicated than that: had I stayed in China it most certainly would’ve been different. And not necessarily for the better either: my closest friend on the program, Emily, wouldn’t have been there, my classes would’ve been totally different (and I would still have had to have class with a kid I really REALLY disliked) and I would’ve been in a homestay, which might have sent me over the deep edge.


But I miss the daily servings of DanDan mien, ice cream and Tsingdao. The pouty-face that Zhong Laoshi would make when we were being annoying, the jokes John Cho would make in class, walking down to Emily’s room and persuading her that, infact, it’s a good idea to travel ½ hour across town for dinner, even though we have a test the next morning.


Do I regret coming to France? Not really.

I get to travel in Europe, eat amazing food, meet more cool people whom I would’ve never met had I stayed in Beijing. I get to live in one of the chic-est arrondisments in Paris, learn how to properly peel my fruit and how to properly entertain men at a luncheon, when being the only female at the table (tip: be witty).

I learned that I like “developing nations” more than the first world. I learned that, at the end of the day, no matter where I am in the world, I still love NJ more than I love that place. (True. I love New Jersey. As I travel to all of these cool places, NJ is still my #1 love…sorry Mom….).


It was exactly a year ago that I decided to spend my year 1/2 in France 1/2 in China. Things have changed since then...but I still love me some foie gras...

1 comment:

  1. It seems like just yesterday that you came into my room asking if you could get your money back the year long France program and that you wanted to go to China. awwwww. Thank God you at least spent a semester on the same continent with me! Less than a month!!!!

    ReplyDelete