Friday, July 10, 2009

A Metaphor, in the shape of a Melon

In 50 years I will remember my host family. I am sure of that. I'm not sure if I'll remember that Madame only wears blue mascara or that Priscilla isn't allowed to go out on Friday nights...but I am confident to say that I will always remember that they eat fruit with a knife and fork.

When people ask me what I got out of this semester I say that I can now peal a pear with a fork and knife. It's a life-skill, you know, though I feel like if I do that at home, my parents would take the pear away from me. Heck, even if it did that at a dinner party, people would stare. And then probably take the pear away from me.

With 2 days left, I look back at my time here and try to figure out what I've accomplished. Paris 7 was on strike; Madame said my French is better, but hey...it was never THAT BAD; I now have an obession with fur vests. It's not as clear this semester all that I have accomplished, unlike last semester.

The only "new skill" I picked up is eating fruit with a fork and knife.

I'll take it.

Last night I had a little good-bye dinner at the apartment. Just me, Monsieur and Madame 'cause Priscilla is in London, the sons had a dinner party and Lara had wedding preparations. It was going fine until Madame put a melon down in front of me.

At home, I'd just pick it up. Here...not so much. And because the conversation was focusing on "their friends, the Rothschilds", I figured I shouldn't dribble melon juice on my dress. So while I pathetically stabbed at the melon, Monsieur and Madame were cutting their with ease and elegance. Madame got up to get the next course, and in a moment of benevolence, Monsieur took the melon and cut it for me.

"I know you can do this yourself...but it'll be easier if I just do it for you"
"...thanks..."
"No, really, you've come a long way, think of what would've happened if we gave you a melon on the first night"

And it's true.

I have come a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment