Thursday, January 15, 2009

En tant qu'Americanne...

I think I stand out as much as a sore thumb. Apparently, I don't. (It's probably thanks to the banging black/white jacket that I have.)

Basically, every day I have at least 2 people come up to me and ask for directions. The second I open my mouth and say that I don't know (in French of course!) they said, Oh Sorry (in English, of course!).

No surprise.

It's very weird getting used to the differences between Paris and Beijing. When I came back from Beijing, I pretty much got straight back into the swing of things in NJ. The hardest thing was not honking my horn, and waiting for people to exit the store/subway in NYC before I would enter.

In Paris, I have to get used to the same thing (waiting for people to leave the metro before I get into the car, etc) as well as realize that being an American isn't as desirable as it is being one in Beijing. In Beijing, I could use my broken Chinese 'til the cows come home and they shopkeeper would smile and appreciate it.

In France, I use my (slightly better at this point) French and everyone switches into English. Hell, even my homestay "sister" speaks to me in English (though that is for another reason entirely).

It's simply interesting to see the difference between Paris and Beijing. And, at the end of the day, realize that there is no place like NJ...

2 comments: