Saturday, January 17, 2009

Eww, Michelle, You Eat Those Things?

I found shrimp chips at Monoprix! HOLLERRR!!!

So I've been here a week now and things seem to be going well, minus the whole everyone speaks English part.

Classes start this week, so tomorrow I'm going with some other people to do a test run of where classrooms are, etc. It's like being in middle school all over again.

So far I am signed up for 2 history classes and 2 Sweet Briar classes (a writing workshop - glorified grammar class - and a phonetics class - requirement for French majors at MHC). I am also tentatively signed up for a Chinese class, dependent on how my meeting will go on the 26th with some guy in the Chinese department.

Basically, deciding to do Chinese here went something like this (this was all in French, obvi):

Person who helps us with classes: Are you sure you want to take this class?
Me: Yes
Person who helps us with classes: Are you sure you want to take this class?
Me: Yes
Person who helps us with classes: Are you really really really sure you want to take this class?
Me: What do you know, that I don't?

Basically, Chinese classes here are run basically as translations...from Chinese into French. And everyone in the class is Asian and they all want to become translators.

Good thing it takes more than that to scare me off...

No comments:

Post a Comment