Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Miss My Bathroom/Get Me to the Church on Time

So right now, I am sitting in my room, listening to World War 3 erupt outside my door. Why? The line for the bathroom.

Today is Lara's wedding (Lara's the oldest daughter). It's not her big wedding, but the civil part (I think...I still don't get all of these terms...) and that means the whole family is here. I don't think I've ever gone into the details, but there are 5 kids in the family, ranging from ages 30 (the oldest son) to 15 (Priscilla). I'm 99% sure that the 4 youngest kids (plus Lara's fiance) are all trying to use the bathroom at the same time. And if they are not in the bathroom, they are in the toilet.

Which leave me, sitting here, typing this blog entry, and hoping they leave for wherever the hell they are going so I can shower in peace!

But, back to the task at hand: I've known about Lara's wedding basically from the second I stepped foot in the door on Day 1. I knew it was in August, I knew it was at the country house, ,I knew the issues with finding the proper caterers...I DID NOT KNOW that the first part of the wedding was this weekend. In fact, I thought it was last weekend (when I was away) and it was the engagement party.

Oops, not true.

So when I came back here on Tuesday, I saw that Lara and her finace were still here, the tables were still set in the foyer, and thought ok, the engagement part is THIS weekend. Shoulda learned my verb tenses better, no biggie.

Well, come Wednesday, Lara invites me to the party Saturday night (tonight) which I am like, OK, cool, that's really nice of you, I'll be there. (It's a the house...it woulda been HELLA awk had I not been invited and had to go through the front door when everyone else is in the foyer...) She then proceeds to tell me that Saturday day is "family time" and I was like, that's totally cool, my father is here in Paris this weekend, no big. At the same time, I'm kinda thinking to myself, jeeze, this is one long engagement party...but hey, I'm in France, shouldn't judge.

Wednesday night Lara invites me to eat with her friends (good time, minus starting the dinner party at 10 pm...) and then I start to hear about going to Mass on Saturday. Okk...I guess people spend their engagement party day with their family, going to mass, then throwing a huge party at night. At the end of the night, Lara says that if I want to, I can go to the Mass on Saturday as well. I thank her polietly, but explain that my Dad is in Paris, and I should really spend the day with him.

Cool.

So, all of this comes to a head Thursday, when I was eating dinner with Priscilla (sometimes everyone else does stuff for dinner, leaving Priscilla and I to dine alone) and she says something about how happy Lara is getting married this weekend. UM WHAT?!? Yea, Lara's engagement party isn't this week...IT'S THE FIRST PART OF HER MARRIAGE! (There's the civil part and the religious part of each French marrige.) And after she's married, her fiance is going back to the UAE (where they lived - he's a French guy working there) and Lara will stay in France until her "other wedding" in August. Or, I mean, I think that's what Priscilla said...but her mouth was full and I started having a panic attack over what to get for them for their wedding gift.

Anyho, that's what's going on in my life...sorry Dad for making you wait so long this AM...

1 comment:

  1. omg, Michelle, your life is always so much more complicated/awkward then mine!

    hope you had fun with your dad and talk to you soon!
    <3 Caty

    ReplyDelete