Thursday, March 26, 2009

Things I've Learned (Part I)

So I'm a bit over the half-way mark for this semester (though might stay here longer, more info on that in posts to come) and I wanted to share the following things I've learned while here:

1. Don't buy pastries at 5 pm. They are stale. Don't expect to get your money back, either.
2. No such thing as too much foie gras.
3. There is, however, such a thing as too much chocolate mousse.
4. When you have 5 months to try all of the food in Paris, pace yourself. It's endurance, not speed.
5. Squattie toilets exist in France.
6. Don't try to be French, you'll never blend in. Just try to be a little less American.
7. Everyone eats fruit with a fork and a knife. Learn accordingly.
8. Be nice to your host family and they will treat you VERY well.
9. Be especially nice to the host family's children. They CAN (and will) make or break your stay.
10. Wear shoes at all times in the house. Naked feet are not acceptable.
11. Be adventurous!
12. Don't be so adventurous that you get propositioned at every street corner.
13. Take being propositioned in stride. It's a compliment! Really!
14. You don't have to be nice to everyone on your program. But word gets around quickly when you're not.
15. Relax.
16. Just 'cause the majority of French girls wears Spandex, doesn't mean you have to, too.
17. Travel as much as possible. You'll never get to do this again!

2 comments:

  1. Your list is excellent. I am eagerly awainting Part II!
    Dr. S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Child, I love your blog. I really do.
    D.

    ReplyDelete