Friday, February 20, 2009

More Random Dinnertime Ramblings...

This is a test of “How Well Do You Know Michelle?”


Question: Does Michelle want kids?

Yes

No


Well, what do you think?

If you said no, you are correct.


I will never say never (and in all honesty, I probably will have kids), but I am not drawn to kids. Not my thing, the sticky fingers and diseases and fights and attention. Sure, I’d like to dress them up in cute clothing and teach them how to speak Swahili and write Chinese calligraphy with their toes – but honestly, kids are not my thing and are not in my current life plan.


So, to cut to the chase:


Last night at dinner, it was just Madame and I (everyone else – aka Monsieur and Priscilla - was out eating with co-workers/friends). I mean, I was cool with this – I’m a fan of Madame (aka, her cooking). I didn’t think I was about to get a 2 hour history lesson nor did I think we would awkwardly sit in silence.


So while talking - I don’t even know how this came up - but she asked, “Do you want kids?”


I swear to god, I thought I was going to have to perform the Heimlich maneuver (which, I’m 99% sure I’d administer improperly – but hey, it’s the thought that counts, right?!). She was floored when I said no.


The next question (logically) was: Do you want to get married.

Answer: YES.


If there is anything that I am sure of in my future, it is that I want to get married.


Madame didn’t know what to think; this is a lady who has 5 kids, got married young (relatively young), and has spent her whole life running a household.


I was quite the oddity.


“Really? Are you SURE? How original! You know, they are much better when they are your own. They joy they bring! My, you really are quite original! I’m sure in 10 years I’ll get a letter from you saying how happy you are with your children…”


(Right now, my mother is sitting at the computer, enthused that someone else is trying to convince me that kids are good and cute and are worth having.)


I guess the moral of this post is to show a) what I talked about during dinner last night (actually, this is was one a wide variety of subjects - but unfortunately I can't post the funnier bits...) b) that I have the vocab to have such a conversation and c) I am feeling like a bad blogger and wanted to post.


I am leaving in a couple of hours - after helping Priscilla with her English homework, which I'm sure will be an exercise in patience for both of us - to visit Ali in Brussels. YAYAYAYAYAY! So excited! I'm off this upcoming week for my February break, so I'll be in Brussels until Tuesday, return to Paris Tuesday, stay here Wednesday, then off to Copenhagen to see Amberle on Thursday through Sunday. YAYAYAYAYAY! So excited times 2!

4 comments:

  1. I wish I read that post before eating a bag of m&m's. It would have supressed my appetite.

    Nothing like getting tortured from 5000 miles away....I am still going to save all of your Judy Blume books, report cards and note books for my grandchildren.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have kids. It's the people like you who always say they won't who eventually do, and the people like me who everyone always thought would have kids who somehow manage not to. As amazing as you are and as much fun as you are having now, someday you are going to become bored with yourself and your own centered on yourself pursuits; you are going to love some man in a fundamental, primal way you don't quite understand; and, either by half-accident or design, you are going to have kids. Or at least someone you too can call The Child. And your mother will be delighted to babysit when The Child annoys you (not that any child of yours would ever annoy anyone).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still laughing of this. Your mother and I are in agreement - you must have kids. While she wants grandchildren, I am already planning for our children to take over China together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laughing at this! Sorry, just came from Danish class and my head is spinning.

    ReplyDelete