Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Don't Leave Me Alone Here!

So last night, I came back to an empty apartment. (I'm home for a day and a half in between Brussels and Copenhagen, mainly to do laundry. I'm cool like that.) The apartment wasn't empty because people weren't home yet - it was empty because...dundundunnnnn...everyone is skiing in the Alps.

So I unlocked the door, flipped on the lights and jumped 10 feet in the air. (I'm REALLY jumpy, for those who don't know.) No, there weren't dead bodies or any other chilling things in the foyer...but there was COOKIE.

Cookie is Priscilla's bunny. I knew s/he exists, but have never just been like "Hey, Priscilla, can I cuddle with the rabbit?" mainly 'cause that's socially awkward and Priscilla already thinks I am a weird American (long story involving cheese and me making animals noises. Caty would've appreciated it...).

So Cookie is chilling out in her/his cage, I filled up the water bottle 'cause there was almost none left...go to my room, check email, blahblahblah...and then I get hungry.

Damn.

I knew Madame had left me food in the fridge, so I head on over to the kitchen, where I am greeted with a note along the lines of "burger in the freezer. that's on top of the fridge. sorry i'm not here. bye." Cool. There were also carrottes rapee (aka, raped carrots! grated carrots...in english) cause she knows I like them...blah blah blah.

And then the problem starts.
The following phone call:
Me: MOM! How do I turn on the stove?
Mom: Um what? I'm in the car. Just turn it on.
Me: OMGOMGOMG Madame never showed me how to turn it on! And it's gas/match type deal. OMGOMGMG
Mom: Oh God, I'll give you the 10 euros to eat out, don't blow the place up.
Me: ...there's an electric coil...how does that work?
Mom: Turn it on and DON'T TOUCH THE COIL.
Me: Ok, cool, I'll call you if something bad happens.

10 minutes later
Me: MOOOOOOOOOMMM the water isn't boiling, can you wire 10 euros in to my account?
(pause)
Me: Oh wait, I think I see bubbles...sorry...call you later.
Mom: Cool.

Oh stove, you give me food and grief.

(disclosure: I can cook. Pretty well in fact - just no one ever gets to see the product of spending 2 weeks in the South of France learning how to cook at Insitut Paul Bocuse - because I am very lazy. )

So, moral of the story, I had some pasta and a "burger" that isn't really a burger. Thought I had a touch of salmonella in the middle of the night 'cause my tummy hurt and I thought I didn't cook the burger through enough, but all's good on my end.

And, even better, the eldest daughter flew in today from the UAE (where she's living with her future-husband - a French guy), so even though I decided to eat out this evening - duck confit to DIE for - I'm no longer alone in the house. YAYAYAY!

Off tomorrow bright and early to see Amberleeeee in Copenhagen. See you soon pengyou!!!

2 comments:

  1. You might have to push in the gas burner knobs when you turn them, or there might be another button for a pilot light that you have to activate while turning the burner knob, or you might have to turn the burner knob as far as you can to light the flame and then dial it back down to the level you want.

    You have an adventurous palate -- a wonderful quality in such a world traveler! On the Top Chef finale tonight, Branford Marsalis said he could never have too much foie gras. And one of the chefs had to cook something with alligator meat. You probably would have been brave enough to eat that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Michelle. I really do miss you and your awkwardness. I think my flatmates thinks I'm crazy, as I was laughing my head off while reading this post.

    I also really need to hear the cheese story. Hopefully I will get to hear, it in person, soon!

    Also, have fun in Copenhagen!
    <3 Caty aka the Former Roomy

    ReplyDelete